Monday, August 9, 2010

Corn and beans

This is an example of how I work and what I mean by ‘piecemeal’.

I started out with this corn and beans block and some pink and purple fabrics.

Originally I was going to use a white muslin for the background, but I thought it looked too stark – perhaps because many of the fabrics have white in them?








I had some pieces of yellow fabric in the cupboard that my mother-in-law had cut out with some project in mind and never finished. I thought they looked nice together. I added more fabrics in green and blue; many of them are 1930’s reproductions, many of them are modern, and some are old clothes.

I didn’t intend on making a 1930’s style quilt, but that seems to be the way it is going. Martha from q is for quilter, has done an ocean waves quilt top in similar colours.

The block design comes from this book - I like the simple black and white illustrations

3 comments:

  1. I just love the butter yellow as your neutral in this quilt! What you have so far is beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ann, I like the yellow in the quilt top, that you posted today, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product! (from Catie)

    ReplyDelete