Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Summer fun

It's not easy photographing something light and airy. The pink in this is very pink and the white very white. I had different intentions for the centre block (the first three pieces) and was just about to add some fabric from my a favourit mid-bue shirt when I saw this quilt.

I have always loved the look of washed out, almost bleached white quilts and since the chances of my ever finding one are limited I decided to make my own washed out and worn quilt using old clothes, pillow covers along with bright and  brand new dressmaking scraps. Just like quilters always have.

I don't know where this top is actually headed. I'm using strips cut by hand and just sewing in the round. The white fabric is linen from a bias cut skirt and therfore the strips are not at all on the straight grain. I'm aiming for gentle wobbliness:)

On another happy note, I'm looking forward to some more colourful scrappy inspiration in the mail after winning this wonderful looking book. The good news is there are lots of other copies to be won (check out Janet's post for details).




6 comments:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE what you've started here! Your use of recycled fabrics really adds that special touch, making it look soft and old. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice,
    That's a gorgeous combination of soft colors and prints. I love your hand pieced look, strips on bias and plaids...Everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lee-Ann, especially as you inspired it!:)

    Thanks Sujata, I love that you think it looks handpieced - I'm starting to enjoy machine piecing now that I can get a soft look and the soft fabrics seem to need that strength that machine piecing gives.

    You're right, it does have a bit of everythimg. My first quilt teacher taught me that - get a large print, a small print, a plaid, a stripe.....and I've done that ever since. I don't think she would approve the bias strips and wobbly seams though:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of the softer fabrics, must put one on my list. I think they look wonderfully snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Janet, it is very snuggly. I'm using my daughter's bed to lay it out on and it looks perfectly at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to learn to sew, I so admire people who can!

    ReplyDelete